John H. Varga, MD, MHSA, FACS, CPE, CHE, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, CPHQ, CHCQM, PMP
1002 Seaton Lane Fax: (703) 237-2480 Residence: (703) 237-1298
Falls Church, VA 22046-3918 firstname.lastname@example.org • www.varga.org Mobile: (703) 283-1500
SENIOR HEALTH CARE EXECUTIVE / MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT
Medical Information Management • Medical Quality Improvement • Utilization Management
• Innovative, quality focused medical administrator and clinician with more than 26 years of diversified health care industry experience in public/private clinical, academic, and managed care settings spanning hospitals, clinics, HMOs, multi-specialty group practices, nationwide networks, and worldwide corporate operations.
• Consistently successful addressing complex Quality Management (QM), Performance Improvement, Utilization Management (UM), JCAHO, and Information Management (IM) issues for various organizations, including a $26 billion integrated delivery system serving 9.1 million beneficiaries and $20B private sector corporation.
• Offer uniquely broad perspective of financial, quality, utilization, and strategic issues within health care arena due to strong combination of experience as ophthalmic physician, masters degree in Health Services Administration, and extensive high level financial analysis, administrative, program management, and contract management experience.
Veterans Administration, Enterprise Systems Management, Washington, DC 2008-Present
Federal agency providing 25 million eligible veterans world-class benefits and services
Informaticist – providing clinical informatics support to the
Health Provider Systems Portfolio
business workflow analysis, supporting CPRS/VistA development and improvement
requirements analysis leading to IT solutions and process improvement
management support for annual $1.3B IT budget
EDS – An HP Company, Falls Church, VA 2007-2008
Leading global technology services company providing clients with a broad portfolio of hardware, information technology and business process outsourcing services with over $50B annual revenue and 200K employees.
Medical Director, EHR Center of Excellence
• Develop process and program to facilitate clinician adoption of electronic health records (EHR)
• Led implementation of Medicaid claims-based EHR pilot preparing for statewide deployment
• Educate project team on clinical and medical aspects of EHR development and implementation
• Speaker at national meetings on design, implementation and use of healthcare information technology
JHV CONSULTING, INC. – PRESIDENT, Falls Church, VA 2003-2007
Healthcare Information Technology implementation and strategic planning consulting
Independent Contractor (Director, Solutions Integration), Tricare Management Activity (2003 – 2006)
International administrative organization for Military Health System (MHS), a health services program serving 9.1million servicemen and
women, their families, and retirees worldwide with an operating budget over $26B.
Led team of healthcare IT professionals in requirements management for Dept. of Defense Information Systems
development and configuration, including coding, compliance, billing, patient safety, credentialing systems
• Organized and led team representing DoD on HL7 Version 3.0 development as voting member
• Developed process and policy for requirements management across 20 integrated IT systems
• Led requirements management effort for $110M division, improving efficiency and traceability
• Liaison to academic partners, Office of National Coordinator for Healthcare IT (HHS) and HIMSS
APPTIS, Chantilly, VA 2005-2007
National information technology, services and healthcare solutions provider serving government and commercial sectors since 1983 with annual revenue over $700M. Applying technologies, inspiring solutions.
Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Healthcare Solutions
• Provides strategic direction and planning for current and future healthcare technology and services offerings
• Leads team for consulting services in performance improvement, patient safety and quality
• Leads business development efforts in government (DoD, HHS/CMS, VA) and commercial accounts
• Liaison with federal regulatory, national and international standards developments organizations
• Business development efforts leading to proposal awards with Department of Defense Military Health
CERNER CORPORATION, Kansas City, MO 2002-2003
Global healthcare information technology corporation with total revenue over $750M. A visionary leader in providing information solution to optimize and improve healthcare.
Physician Executive, Care Transformation – Cerner Consulting
Reduces costs, improves quality and eliminates avoidable medical errors by optimizing effectiveness for direct
care providers through implementation of Cerner Millennium architecture products
• Led team to optimize workflow and implement computerized physician order entry (CPOE) at numerous
healthcare facilities (community hospitals, academic medical centers and integrated systems).
• Formulated standardized methodology for implementing CPOE and decreased conversion time 25%.
3M HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEMS (Contracted via Volt Services, Inc.), Falls Church, VA 2001 - 200International health information management/technology and health products corporation with revenue over $3.1B.
Clinical Director, CHCS II Project – Computerized Patient Record
Medical oversight and training supervisor for 15 site leads and trainers in a multi-site installation of a state-of-the-art computerized patient record (CPR). Full implementation resulting in 104 medical facilities linked to a world-wide database enabling instant access to patient records for over 8 million patients. Supports marketing of 3M Health Information Management products at regional, national and international venues.
• Developed and coordinated a comprehensive training/orientation manual enabling more expeditious adaptation
of personnel to training physicians on CPR application, saving personnel costs and compressing orientation time.
DEPT. OF DEFENSE, TRICARE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITY (TMA), Falls Church, VA 1997 - 2001
International administrative organization for Military Health System (MHS), a health services program serving 8.4 million servicemen and women, their families, and retirees worldwide.
Director - Financial Analysis and Integration, Resource Management Office (1999 – 2001)
Lead professional staff of 25 in development of financial analyses, resource models, managed care financing methodologies, and recommendations for Executive Director, TMA. Provide key input to strategic planning, $18 billion budget development, and funding distribution for MHS components. Guide and direct contract administrators regarding financial implications of managed care support contracts. Manage operating budget of $1.1 million and oversee $4 million in contracts with impact of $4 billion in annual contract performance.
• Launched reengineering initiative for comprehensive review and overhaul of Third Party Collections Policy and implementation of new software designed to streamline and automate processes, increasing revenues 20%.
• Led resource team in prioritization of IM/IT functions for allocation of $500 million IM/IT budget.
• Led 5-year cyclical reevaluation of managed care support contracts, proposal development through financing and incentive based reimbursement contingent on outcomes and performance leading to new $4 billion contract.
Medical Director / Senior Health Policy Analyst (1997 - 1999)
Maintained oversight of 24 Regional Medical Directors and served as Medical Advisor to Director, TMA. Provided analyses and policy recommendations to Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs), Washington, DC.
• Served as medical expert and final authority for proposed changes to TRICARE Policy Manual, amending on ongoing basis to take into account new technologies, treatments, drugs, procedures and techniques.
• Led UM team in evaluation of $4.5 billion in managed care support contracts.
PREVIOUS MILITARY CAREER TRACK 1981 - 1995
Completed medical training, internship, and residency, and advanced through series of increasingly responsible clinical positions. Earned numerous personal awards and recognition during this period.
Deputy Director, Physical Qualification & Review, Bureau Of Medicine/Surgery, Washington, DC (1995-97)
Ophthalmologist/Performance Improvement Advisor, Naval Hospital, Charleston, SC (1992-1995)
Fellow, Cornea & External Eye Disease, McGee Eye Institute/University of Oklahoma, OKC, OK (1991 - 1992)
Fellow, Ophthalmic Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC (1990 - 1991)
Quality Improvement Physician Advisor, U.S. Naval Hospital, Naples, Italy (1988 - 1990)
Chief of Ophthalmology, Naval Hospital, Millington, TN (1986 - 1988)
Resident/Chief Resident, Ophthalmology, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD (1983 - 1986)
Department Head / Medical Officer, USS Belleau Wood, San Diego, CA (1982 - 1983)
Intern - Basic Surgery, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA (1981 - 1982)
Additionally, serve as Adjunct Associate Professor (Surgery), Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD (1986 - Present). Lecture on Utilization and Outcomes Management, Managed Care, and Medical Ethics.
Coursework toward Certificate in Health Information Technology, George
Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Master of Health Services Administration (Health Care Policy),
The George Washington University, Washington, DC January 2001
Doctor of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH June 1981
Bachelor of Science (Microbiology), The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH June 1977
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS & AFFILIATIONS
Medical Licensure: Virginia, DC, Florida, California, Ohio, Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina, Oklahoma
Board Certification: Ophthalmology, Physician Executive, Healthcare Executive, Managed Care Medicine, QA and UR Physician, Healthcare Quality, Healthcare Information & Management Systems, Project Management Professional
Fellow: American Academy of Ophthalmology, American College of Surgeons, Health Information and Management Systems Society
Member: American College of Physician Executives, American Medical Informatics Association, Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems, National Association for Healthcare Quality, Project Management Institute
Journal Reviewer: Military Medicine, Federal Practitioner, Journal of Healthcare Information Management
Johnson, B.W., Davies, W.G., Varga, J.H., et al. “Case Report: A Descriptive Analysis of Hypertension and
Affiliated Therapies in a Military Retiree Population (Ages 40-85) at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina”. Military Medicine, 2002.
Varga, J.H., Rubinfeld, R., Wolf, T.C., Stutzman, R., Peele, K., Clifford, W., Madigan, W. “Tetracaine Abuse Ring
Keratitis: Report of Four Cases”. Cornea July 1997.
Varga, J.H. “Vision and Shooting”. Shooting Sports USA, April 1995.
Varga, J.H. “Radial Keratotomy in Active Duty Military Personnel”. Military Medicine 159(3):A5, 1994.
Varga, J.H., Wolf, T.C. “Bilateral Transient Keratoendotheliitis due to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus”. Annals of
Ophthalmology 25(6):222-3, 1993.
Varga, J.H., Wolf, T.C., Jensen, H.G., Parmley, V.C., Rowsey, J.J. “Combined Treatment of Acanthamoeba
Keratitis with Neomycin, Propamidine, and Polyhexamethylene Biguanide”. American Journal of Ophthalmology 115(4):466-470, 1993.
Varga, J.H., Wolf, T.C., Jensen, H.G. “Use of Swabs for Corneal Cultures”. Ophthalmology 99(9):1346, 1992.
Specht, C.S., Varga, J.H., Jalali, M.M., Epstein, J.P. “Orbitocranial Wooden Foreign Body Diagnosed by Magnetic
Resonance Imaging. Dry Wood can be Isodense with Air and Orbital Fat by Computed Tomography.” Survey of Ophthalmology, 36(5):341-344, 1992.
“Utilization Management and Quality Management for the Clinician”, Lectures, 1993-2001.
Faculty lecturer at Principles of Managed Care I, American College of Managed Care Medicine, 1999-2001
“Pathway to the Future of Human Resource Management and Quality Assurance Systems”, HIMSS Meeting, 2004
“Electronic Health Records based on Medicaid Claims”, Pennsylvania Health Technology Forum, Hershey, PA 2007
“Governance in Health Information Technology Projects”, Federated Identity Management Society, Monterey, CA 2007
“Private-Public Partnership in Healthcare IT Projects”, Government Health IT Forum, Washington, DC 2007
“Medicaid Claims-based EHR Pilot – Tallahassee”, North-Central Florida HIMSS, Pensacola, FL 2008
“Healthcare IT Security & Challenges for the Future”, SAFE Board, Princeton, NJ 2008
“EHR – A Step to Quality Care”, eHI 5th Annual Conference, Washington, DC, 2008
"Medical Informatics", OSOD Meeting, St. Louis, MO 2009